1939 UPDATE IN BOULEVARD OAKS
Banks St. was a complete design and remodel. Built in 1939, we kept the traditional feel of the house but also updated the footprint to better suit contemporary living. We opened up the kitchen and dining by removing part of a wall, making it less formal and making the space flexible to be used as dining or living. We also removed an island in the kitchen that was oversized for the space and instead extended the counters the full length of the kitchen, inserting a washer and dryer at the end near the backdoor and the pool, using the subfloor to maintain the counter height. The upper cabinets were removed and instead we created a floor to ceiling built in cabinet at the far side. All the cabinets are custom millwork made of walnut.
Upstairs we added a master bath and walk-in closet, installed walk-in closets with built in furniture and pocket doors in the other bedrooms, and updated the existing baths with new tile and fixtures. The entire house was rewired and recessed lights were installed. A new color palette was chosen of mostly whites, grays and tans, except for the downstairs powder room which was painted a dark aubergine. The facade was simplified by removing decorative shutters and painted a different shade of grayish brown and black, keeping the palette sophisticated yet understated. The eves were painted a subtle pale blue in keeping with the vernacular of southern porches. At the end of the photo gallery you can see the before photos.